We’ve had this couch and chair for years. They are a dark floral tapestry, quite dated, but comfortable. I’ve always kept a slipcover on them, but they just never looked right, because I could never find one that fit properly since they were so oversized. The cover would hike up in the back, or tear a bit at the seams when I’d put it back on after washing. We tossed around the idea of purchasing an Ikea Ektorp this year, but on a whim I decided to make custom slipcovers for our existing set. It was a huge job. I had never made slipcovers before, and I didn’t want to spend hundreds of dollars on fabric. I ended up purchasing cotton canvas drop cloths, used for painting. They were around $20 each and I used 4 of them to cover the chair and couch. I washed them before using, so they would soften up and to make sure they wouldn’t shrink with future washings.
Before I could start, I needed to fix the cushions. The cushions in the back were actually permanently attached to the back of the sofa. They were also ripped and stuffing was puffing out. One of my kids took a pair of scissors to the arm of the chair so some suturing needed done there too. I used a seam ripper to detach the back cushions, shoved 2 new pillows into each one to add some extra fluff, and stitched them back up.
I also needed to cover the entire back where the cushions were attached.
Then I just started cutting fabric to fit each section and pinning them on.
The most difficult places were those that had 3 pieces of fabric coming together in a corner.
I would just pin a few sections at a time, take it to the sewing machine and stitch, then fit it…over and over again!
And here is what it looks like on a normal day, when the girls are playing.